Monday, October 3, 2011

Burning of the Sins

But God demonstrates his own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.
- Romans 5:8

Every so often, I have the opportunity to participate in something called the Burning of the Sins. It involves taking some paper and writing your sins and shortcomings, pouring your heart out to God. You then take those sins and burn them in a fire at the foot of the cross, symbolizing the forgiveness of sins that came from the sacrifice of Calvary. It is quite a solemn event, full of self-reflection and thankfulness.

One such event, a few years back, I was in charge of creating the fire. Before the rest of the group came out, I had the fire going, and it was just me, and the fire, and the cross. I took the paper out of my pocket, on which I had written things I wish I had never done. I wrote things that I hated myself for, things I wish I could take back. I described parts of myself that felt beyond repair. I stood there and prayed for God’s forgiveness and His grace, though I knew I already had both. I then dropped the paper into the fire and watched in burn up, for that is what happens to our sins when we place them at Christ’s feet. It was truly a moment with just me and God, and one that will stick with me for the rest of my life.

At these events, immediately preceding the Burning of the Sins is the Stations of the Cross. We see the last few hours unfold before Jesus’ crucifixion. We see him struggle under the weight of the cross, and we hear the pounding of the nails into His hands. We know what is going to happen, yet it brings so many questions to mind. Why would God send his son to die for me? Why would Jesus endure such torment to save someone like me? Did He not know all the sins of my life, all the terrible crimes I’ve committed against Him? Surely He read that piece of paper before I burned it at His feet. He knows all that I have done, and yet He still chose to endure the agony of crucifixion? What would drive Him to do this?

The answer to these questions is both quite simple and immensely incomprehensible. The answer is love. He loved us, each and every one of us, so much, that He chose to give His own son as a sacrifice in our place. The blood of Christ on the cross paid the price for our sins. It covered each sin that each one of us has ever and will ever commit. As humans, we cannot fully understand that level of love. For He is God, and we are so small, as numerous as sand on the seashore. Yet He loves us more than we can know, for He is our creator, and He knew each of us by name before He breathed the world into being.

Thank you, Lord, for what you have done for me. Thank you for your love, and your grace, and your forgiveness. I know that when you look at me, you do not see those things that I wrote down, those terrible sins, for they are no more. They have been burned and covered with your blood. Thank you for salvation. Thank you for the eternal life that awaits me once this life is done. I can do nothing to earn back what you have done for me, but I give you all that I can, and all that I am. Thank you, Lord. I love you. Amen.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for this post. I also participated in this activity before. I wrote my sins on a piece of paper and threw it in the fire. Yet now I'm still struggling with them. The problem is that God has forgiven me - so why can't I let go of my own sins?
    "Be holy because I am holy" Lev 19:2

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think this is something a lot of us struggle with. We, as humans, hold on to things too long. I usually do not have problems forgiving others, yet I seem to hold myself up to a higher standard, and when I fail those standards, it is harder to let go. We shake our heads at the mistakes of others, yet when it is us making the mistake, it is harder to process, for we feel we should know better.

    ReplyDelete