Tuesday, April 9, 2013

The Lost

I've been feeling something coming up from the depths of my soul.  It's a passion that longs to be put into action, though I don't yet know how.  I've been praying that God will lead me in the right direction.

The world is a mess.  I look out and see turmoil, and sin, and pain, and suffering.  Everywhere we go, there are people who need a savior.  I see people who long for love and purpose, yet there is no shoulder to cry on, no one to bring them comfort.  Perhaps they are now clinging to something they think will bring them salvation.  They all have great holes in their lives, and there is only one thing that will fix what is broken.  Nothing in this world will satisfy all their needs.  There is only one power that will heal them and bring them life, and he is not of this world, nor is he limited by what this world has to offer.  His name is Jesus.  The only remedy in this broken world comes from the one who made us, the one who breathed life into us, and the one who died on a cross for us.  All else will crack and break, and leave them lost.

Each of us was born into the same world, and sin afflicts us all, holding each of us back from what we should have been.  Instead of oneness with God, we have disharmony.  Instead of eternal joy, we have all been sentenced to eternal death and everlasting separation from our creator.  We are each responsible for our own damnation, for it was our sin that tore us from Heaven's grasp.

Yet, not all is lost.  Though our sin puts us into a great debt, one we could never pay, we find ourselves no longer hopeless, no longer condemned.  For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.  There is no great task or challenge to complete for one to be saved from an eternity of death.  All we must do is accept who we are and what we have done: we are sinners, and we have separated ourselves from our loving creator.  He knows it, and we know it.  We must simply acknowledge it, believing in our heart that the blood of Jesus was spilled for us.

The good news of Christ Jesus is simple, and yet there are innumerable souls in the world in danger of ending their lives without it.  What else could possibly matter in such a life?  Those who leave this world without knowing Jesus will never see light again, thus making their Earthly lives a failure, both on their part, and on the part of those of us who failed to reach them.

I feel as though my life has a purpose in reaching the lost.  Several years ago, I was stopped by a man at a local county fair who had noticed the t-shirt I was wearing, which had a cross on it.  He said I had the gift of evangelism.  I've often wondered if that was a message from God, and if it was, what exactly it meant for my life.  I'm still not sure.  I pray that God will use me for His kingdom.

I am your tool, Father; strengthen me and make me anew, and use me according to your will.  The mind of God is great, while the mind of man is weak, and your plans, oh God, are above anything that I can even imagine.

No comments:

Post a Comment